At the instigation of Mr. H.H. Ward, the Curling Association of Ottawa was formed for the 1940-1941 season. Its function was generally to co-operate with the Canadian Branch of the Royal Caledonia Curling Club (the “Branch”) in the operation of its several annual events, and to control and operate the several inter-club competitions of local interest. Included among the latter were the original City Bonspiel (competing for the Birks Trophy), and the Central Canada Bonspiel involving the James Manuel and N.F. Wilson Trophies.
In 1956, the City of Ottawa Invitational Bonspiel was inaugurated, superseding the former Central Canada Bonspiel.
On 1 October 1959, the OVCA came into being, succeeding the Curling Association of Ottawa. The first President of the OVCA was C.A.L. Murchison of the Granite Curling Club of West Ottawa.
As a result of a tripartite agreement entered into in 1962-1963, the OVCA began functioning as the coordinating body for the OVCA, the Ontario Curling Association (the “OCA”) and the Canadian Branch of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club (the “Branch” – this version of the Branch became Curling Quebec). This function related to clubs in the City of Ottawa and the surrounding Ottawa-St. Lawrence Valley areas. The OVCA continued in this role until 2001, at which point the OCA withdrew from the agreement and a new arrangement was struck between the OVCA and the Branch. As a result, the OVCA coordinated Branch events in the OVCA area, collecting membership fees, receiving entries, managing entry fees, and remitting moneys to the Branch.
The OVCA no longer performs this service for the Branch, but continues to encourage its members to get involved in Branch activities.
In 1967, the decision was made to explore incorporation of the OVCA. A committee was struck, and after many meetings and much discussion an application for incorporation was forwarded to the Provincial Secretary. Letters patent were granted on 29 July 1968.
Where We Fit
Curling in our region has many complex relationships.
The OVCA itself is an affiliate member organization of Curling Canada.
OVCA clubs “belong” to their Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) – the organization recognized by the government as the body that represents the sport. As members of their PSO, they are also entitled to the services of Curling Canada, the national governing body.
In Ontario, the PSO is the Ontario Curling Council (OCC). The OCC has two member organizations – CurlON for southern Ontario, and the Northern Ontario Curling Association. In Quebec, the PSO is Curling Quebec. OVCA member clubs are a part of Curling Outaouais, one of Curling Quebec’s 10 regional associations.
Clubs in Ontario and Quebec that are members in good standing of their respective provincial body and fall within our geographical boundaries, as defined in our bylaws, are eligible to join the OVCA.
OVCA clubs may also choose to enter events run by the Canadian Branch (for men’s events) and the Ladies Curling Association (for women’s events). These are ‘historical’ curling bodies rooted in the game’s founding in Montreal and Eastern Ontario.
The OVCA’s purpose is to provide resources and programs to enhance the offerings of the PSO and NSO for the benefit of our member clubs.